By: SAMANTHA THREADGILL
This past Sunday, March 2, 2014, was the 86th Academy Awards. The night was full of fun and excitement. I personally think it was one of the best ones I’ve seen. There were many aspects that made the night great, but let’s just arrow it down to the top five best moments.
- The music of the night was outstanding with performances from Bette Midler, U2 , Pharell Williams, and many others.
- Matthew McConaughey won his first Oscar. He got Best Actor for the film “Dallas Buyers Club”, and gave a very memorable speech, where he thanked his late father(his hero) and talked about the importance of having that person to look up to.
- Jared Leto won best supporting actor for the same film “Dallas Buyers Club” and also gave a wonderful speech, which if you didn’t see you should check it out online.
- Steve McQueen’s “12 Years A Slave” won best picture. One of the films stars is Brad Pitt. Have any of you seen the film?
- In my opinion, the best part of the night was Ellen DeGeneres. She was the host of this years show and bought a new feeling to the Oscars. DeGeneres posted a selfie on twitter with some big stars(Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt, Bradley Cooper, etc.) and broke the record for the most retweets in twitter history: just under 3.3 million. She also ordered 99 pizzas for the stars, I mean pizza at he Oscars, how great is that. Also, she started a collection for the pizza guys’ tip and later brought him on her show and gave him the $1,000 tip. She has got to be one of the best hosts for the Oscars of all time.
All in all, it was a wonderful night with some very deserving recipients. There will have to be big plans for next years show, to live up to this one.