BY: NICOLE VERNON & KENYA HUNTER
(Gainesville, Ga.) – College students have more on their plates than everyone else realizes. They must adapt to a new environment while balancing homework, class, social clubs and extracurricular activities. On top of school, some students must also learn to how to balance their love lives being newly long distance.
Long distance relationships seem as if they are nearly impossible in college and that is exactly what they are: nearly impossible… but only nearly.
The possibility of it working out all depends on how much effort each individual puts into making the relationship work. Remember these six points to maintain your relationship while in college:
1. Trust. You must be at a place where you honestly believe that your significant other is being faithful. If you find that you can’t trust this person, then you should reevaluate the person that you are in a relationship with. Sometimes you might have to decide if you can handle a long distance relationship at all. If there is any hint of doubt, then there is a problem within the relationship that needs fixing.
2. The element of surprise. Surprises keep the relationship spontaneous and interesting. Sending random packages and letters to say that you had the other person on your mind is something that keeps the fire going. The ultimate surprise, however, is a random visit. Those are the best gifts of them all!
3. Respect. Respect each other’s schedules– whether you are both in school or your significant other works. Understand that schedules can get busy. No matter how much you want to stay up late and talk to your significant other, it would be wiser to get some sleep sometimes. Also, respect each other enough to know your boundaries when it comes to socializing with other people. Our definition of cheating is doing something you wouldn’t do if your partner was present with a person who isn’t your partner. Be smart. Most likely it isn’t worth it.
4. Communicate. All major issues that could occur within long distance relationships may be avoided if proper forms of communication are being practiced. Secrets and withholding information could cause you to be single in a heartbeat. Don’t be afraid of confrontation; it is a part of all relationships and it is inevitable.
5. Remember the little things. Good morning texts, a phone call in between classes, inspirational notes and other simple things will put a smile on your “bae’s” face. Always remind them that in spite of your busy schedule, that person is still on your mind.
6. Patience. You’ll have your days when you miss your other half so much that you think you can’t handle it. And he or she will have those days, too. Just remember that summer is right around the corner, and it won’t be long before you see each other again. Then you can get back to the cuddles and binge-watching of the lovey-dovey Netflix movies and what not.
You must take those six points and mold them to fit your relationship situation.
All relationships last based on the amount of effort that both parties put into it. At the end of the day the only people who are involved are you and the other person.
Figure what you are doing and where you are going. Don’t let the distance make the relationship unless it’s making it stronger.