BY: SIERRA SMALLS-GREER
(Gainesville, Ga.) – Valentine’s Day is coming up, and even though I cheered on the anti-Valentines Day crowd last week, I figured that this week’s article would be the perfect time to pump up the lovers.
If you are anything like me, a couple of things can be done without when it comes to the day of love. Chocolate hearts are cheesy, you already have enough Bath and Body Works for years and everybody wants to go to dinner so lines will be long.
- Make a bucket list! This is a list of all the things you want to do in your lifetime before you “kick the bucket”. It can be as creative as you want and you can pull from it every year to pick your Valentine’s Day to do list. This is a great option whether you are on your own or with a partner for this holiday!
- Bloody Valentine: This tradition stems from England where couples go to a murder mystery dinner theatre. This has to be fun; it’s Halloween meets Valentine’s Day.
- Reverse of Gender Roles: This tradition comes from Japan. During Valentine’s Day, women take on the chivalric duty of wining and dining their men. This can also be a way to spice up the relationship.
- The Vagina Monologue! This was originally a show/stand up comedy but has turned into a campaign to fight violence for women and girls.This worldwide campaign is celebrated in many different ways depending on your location. Anti-violence workshops and documentary screenings among other activities could be happening at a location near you!
- Blind dating in the dark: This event comes from Texas where you can go to dining in the dark restaurants. This has to be the strangest on the list but could be reenacted by you and your partner for fun!
- Stay at home: There is nothing wrong with a home-cooked meal and Netflix! I’m telling you… movie marathons and fuzzy socks will make any girl happy.
- Get a hotel for the night! If you have kids, this this could be a life-saving idea. Pawn the kids off to the grandparents and have fun for the night. Who knows when that can happen again?
- Check Groupon for event discounts: Chances are you could easily get a couples massage for $30.
- Do a good deed! Take this day to give your heart to others. Make Valentine’s Day cards and hand them out on the street or at your local hospitals. It will make their day!
These are just a couple of ways to celebrate this special day! I would encourage you not to stop here but rather to explore other ways to keep the love alive and exciting.
This is dedicated to all my lovers out there.
Happy Valentine’s Day from The Alchemist Family!